"On the brink of Civil War, the Torrian Alliance continues with its mission to obliterate Star-children across the universe in order to suppress an intergalactic evil. Following the recommendations of his Council, King Gregorio Derry has agreed to send his only son William, on a mission to restore honor to his family. What starts out routine, becomes a lot more complicated as an inopportune crash landing delays the assassination. During this time, William begins to form a 'connection' with Sydney that challenges his inner being. But this conflict is the least of his problems, as a conspiracy back on his home planet Fabricius threatens the lives of those he loves and his father's royal legacy. Along with that, he must unravel a hidden threat here on Earth that seeks to secure a vested interest that threatens both his and Sydney's safety. Will William be able to complete his mission or will he choose love, sacrificing everything he stands for?" - Goodreads
Title: ProtoStar
Series: The Star-Crossed Saga
Author: Braxton A. Cosby
Publisher: Firefly Publishing Entertainment LLC
Release Date: September 25th 2011
Format: Paperback
Pages: 356
Age Group: Young Adult
Genre: Sci-Fi
Rating: ❤❤
Where to Buy: Amazon | B&N | The Book Depository

The story itself is about a love that knows no boundaries that has time and space creating situations for the characters. Even though the outcome is laid out in the book, the journey itself is interesting to the end.

However, even with such a good concept for a novel, I couldn't feel a connection with the characters. It lacked those elements that makes up great characters, let alone for a young adult book. But in reality I felt it was less young adult actually and more science fiction in general for adults.

I did find some of the dialogue to fall a little flat through out the book. It could be that one or more of the characters were not pulled out into a much richer persona when being described or explaining their thoughts.

I think Cosby hit the nail on the head with the location for a sci-fi genre, that I do love. I can see the passion put into the details of that alone. I think that if there were to be a sequel, there needs to be something laid out about the characters that are magnetic to readers. I do find this sometimes happens in a first novel for writers when entering a young adult world, the character make-up is a hit or miss. Sometimes they come back out on top for the sequel. So maybe before it comes out I'll try to re-read the book and maybe attempt the second to see if I feel more of a relation to the characters, especially Sydney.

And the last thing i do have to point out, it's a pet peeve of books or just writing in general, but the type font is a big deal for myself. My eyes strain too much when the font is hard on my eyes. They literally hurt due to them constantly readjusting and focusing on it too much. I have this problem with reading too long and too much on my computer screen. This one of the reasons I pushed myself to get through this book because I knew if I didn't I would have never finished it and felt bad all because my eyes are "allergic" to type font lol

All in all, this novel wasn't something that I truly enjoyed. Sometimes this happens. Not every single book works for every single person. But I'm glad I've given it a try. © 2011