A daily meme for the month of October originally created here. The topic is about anything related to halloween. This includes books, movies, television, scary places, and anything else spooky!


Location: Headless Horseman Hayride
State: New York
Town: Ulster Park (The Hudson Valley)
Established: October 1992
Type: Haunted Attraction/Entertainment
Awards: Rated #1 Haunted Attraction in the United States by Haunt World Magazine, Top 20 Haunted Houses by Fangoria Magazine. Also featured on the Travel Channel for "Halloween's Most Extreme" as the first stop on the tour of the Country's scariest Halloween attractions!
Spook Factor: 8 1/2 out of 10 (not recommended for children under 13)

I live about an hour or so from this place and let me tell you: they have some SERIOUS scary attractions! From a hayride where the actors literally come at from all sides, to a pitch black maze inside the basement of their haunted house, and actors who work year around on creating bigger and better things for the next season. With 200 employees hired every autumn to working the crowds, concessions, even creating some of the most elaborate scenery and props, this is the place to go to in the tri-state area of the north east!

I've been an attendee at least three times in the last 15 years. The first time I went, when I was about 10, I was so freaked out I started to cry on the hayride! The next time I was about 14-15 and I was super freaked out from the people walking around (they put their ALL into making it a rememberable time!). The last time was when I was 18 (back in 2005) and the maze got me a few times from all the neon colors glowing from the black lights to the scary sounds up and down and all around you. The imagery of the characters that year was intense!

This year the theme is beyond what I could ever expect! It's called "Hells Cavern", and guess what the focal idea is?



And now here is a look back on the 2010 season at Headless Horseman Hayride: